BYRON BAY, NEW SOUTH WALES, AUSTRALIA
Stunning beaches, a bubbling foodie culture, gorgeous green countryside, and a chic beach vibe make for the perfect well curated peace out. I was lucky enough to experience Byron when I spent a long weekend there earlier this year.
- Atlantic Guesthouse / Communal living at it's best among a compound of houses and room blocks surrounding the courtyard Airstream. Family style share kitchens and chill out areas are great for meeting your fellow travelers while whipping up a great bbq or a healthy breakfast. The clean chic beach theme rooms are well appointed and sport comfortable cozy beds. Ask for a room upstairs so you can take in the green view and the sunsets. Read more on born packed. atlanticbyronbay.com.au
- St. Elmo / Tapas and Spanish influenced mains, alongside the best cocktails and wine list in the area. Read more on born packed. stelmodining.com
- Harvest Cafe & Deli / A short drive down the coast but so very very worth the trip. A hopping main restaurant serves amazing breakfast and lunch offerings. Be prepared to wait a bit as they are in demand. The deli next door serves up their wood fired breads and sports a cheese cellar that would make Murray's jealous alongside a meat locker that's not to be missed. Stock up on their sauces and treats for the kitchen back in Byron. harvestcafe.com.au
- TOWN / Karl and Katrina Kanetani are big chef's in a small town. There are two TOWN's. Uptown which is for dinner offering sophisticated tasting menus and Downtown offering up breakfast and lunch that is thoughtful and complex and accessible without reservations or with a group. townbangalow.com.au
- Barefoot Brew Room / Simply the very best coffee in the area. A small hole in the wall just around the corner from St. Elmo. commongroundaustralia.com
- Bayleaf Coffee / Great Coffee, Great Breakfast and it's just across the street from Atlantic Guesthouses. Owned by the roasters of Marvell Street coffee the coffee is top notch and the food isn't far behind. Be prepared to wait during the peak hours they've got the market cornered in Byron. Location Info
MUST DO //
- Bangalow Market / A country upscale foodie version of what everyone in LA loves about the Rose Bowl. A must do if you're lucky enough to be in town when it's on. bangalowmarket.com.au
- Hike the Lighthouse Trail / Ideally timed with sunrise or sunset this hike is a must do while you're in Byron. You will wind down the coast walkway and past some of the most famous beaches in the world on the way to the lighthouse and the easternmost point of the Australian continent. Rounding the tip you spy Tallow Beach below before you pop into the canopy and hike through the woods on the back side of the loop. byron-bay.com
- Beaches / They're all beautiful. They're all different. Don't pick, just go to all of them. Ensure you don't miss. Main Beach, Tallow Beach, Cosy Corner, LIttle Wategos and Wategos. byron bay beach listing
- Byron Bay Massage / Katie Connolly is a magic maker. She will come to you at the Atlantic Guesthouse and your life will be better. A variety of services and very well vetted therapists means you're in good hands, literally. I booked a massage just before hitting the road again and it made a huge difference in my travel experience. byronbaymassage.com.au
BRING BACK //
- Super Awesome / cool surf spot on the main drag in Byron. Snag a tee or a backpack. Worth the luggage space. superawesome.com.au
- Island Luxe / A chic for anywhere edit of high end and unknown designers some global and some local. With outposts in both Byron Bay and Bangalow it houses styles for you and the new beach house you are slowly decorating in your head as each moment here passes. No doubt you will begin imagining future summers here within an hour of landing. Islandluxefacebook
- AHOY / Bright and playful accessories, clothes and home stuffs from around the world. Curated to match an overall theme each season there will be something you NEED here. ahoytrader.com
- Our Corner Store / In Bangalow this small store on the main drag is packed to the gills with creative finds and great treats to bring home to those that didn't get to tag along. Pop in after lunch at TOWN ourcornerstore.com.au
- One Teaspoon / If you're in need of a party dress or a bathing suit. This is your shop. Fun young and ready to dance is the best way to put it. oneteaspoon.com.au
RADIO // Triple J Radio
TRAVEL STACK //4 Wheel carry-on & a tote. Bring your tablet and your phone, no computer needed. Swimsuit, sunhat and sunblock are musts. I picked up a Jack & Jac towel and some All Tomorrows Parties sandals in Sydney which became instant staples in the travel stack. They've been on every beach adventure since.
WHEN TO GO // December to March which is the Australian summer is the best time to visit. New years eve is a big blowout but a bit less chic even though the fashion flock from Sydney make a showing.
CONNECTED // Hotels and restaurants are Wi-Fi equipped, and when not directly connected you will get a signal most areas with your locally equipped mobile phone. Pick up an Australian SIM from Vodafone.co.au at Sydney Kingston airport just outside the customs check. All you will need is an un-locked mobile phone and a passport.
VISA // Most countries require a visitor visa to enter the country. It's an easy on-line process that needs to be completed prior to arrival. Web link